Sunday, March 20, 2011

Asparagus Frittata


Today is officially the first day of Spring YAY!! I absolutely love asparagus so I thought the perfect brunch dish for this morning to welcome Spring would be this asparagus frittata...it is really good and leftovers reheat well for a lunch dish the following day.

Here is how to make it:
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Remove the tough ends from 5 stalks of asparagus (they will naturally break off at the right point) and discard the ends. Blanch the asparagus (which means place in boiling water) for about 1 minute until bright green and immediately run under cold water and drain well. Set aside.
3. Next beat 8 eggs together with 1/4 cup of milk, 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg (freshly ground nutmeg or East Indian nutmeg is the best) and salt and pepper to taste. Note that I use a finer milled pepper for a recipe such as this.
4. In a cast iron skillet (I LOVE my cast iron), saute 1 medium onion (I used a sweet Vidalia) until translucent in a couple Tbs. of vegetable oil (I used canola).
5. Next add 5 mushrooms sliced (I used baby bellas for a meatier texture) and saute until golden brown.
6. Next add 1 cup of chopped fresh spinach and cook until completely wilted.
7. Next add 1 chopped tomato (Roma or Plum).
8. Now pour your egg mixture into the skillet and stir briefly. Take off the heat.
9. Sprinkle 1/4 pound of shredded mozzarella on top and some chopped fresh or dried basil.
10. Bake the frittata for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly. You can broil the top at the end to "finish" the top more and make it more golden.
11. I topped mine at the end with some caramelized onions for extra flavor.

May you have a beautiful brunch and a blessed Spring season! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment