Thursday, March 31, 2011
Fish n' Chips
SO not gluten free.
Here is my version for when a craving hits for this favorite:
1. Take a pound of fish fillets (I used Cod here) and rinse and pat dry the fillets (I cut them up into smaller pieces to cook easier) and set them aside.
2. Make a batter with 2 cups of all purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill) with 1 1/4 cups of cold gluten free beer, 3 tsp. of baking powder and a pinch of Old Bay (or another gluten free Creole) seasoning.
3. Dust the fish fillets in some additional flour and dip in the batter..coating the fish well.
4. Place the fish in oil at about 370 degrees (canola or vegetable oil) in either a large saucepan or dedicated (aka..only gluten free) fryer.
5. Cook the fish until golden brow...for about 4 minutes.
6. Drain on papertowels and season with salt and pepper.
7.I also whipped up some fries by boiling some sliced potatoes in salted water for about 4 or 5 minutes...draining them and letting them cool completely. After the fish is fried I cooked them in the oil (after the fish) until golden brown..a gluten free treat.
8. I served with fish n' chips with some mushy peas (from the foreign food section in the grocery store) and some sweet gherkins..for that traditional Pub feel.
Here is to good food! Salut! xo