Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Gluten Free Indulgence: Mexican Hot Chocolate

Friday night treat: mexican hot chocolate on Twitpic

Mexican hot chocolate is one of my FAVORITE gluten free winter treats. I am going to give you the super easy version of how to make it.
1. Start by warming up about a cup of milk in a small sauce pan. Add a cinnamon stick or a pinch of cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg (I like East Indian nutmeg), a few dried chili flakes and a tiny pinch of saffron. Heat up the milk without letting it boil.

2. Now you can strain the milk into a cup (I like leaving some of the dried chili flakes for really spicy chocolate) and add about 4 heaping Tablespoons of European drinking chocolate (or a very rich dark cocoa with some sugar to taste). I used Trader Joes Sipping Chocolate (I LOVE Trader Joes for their clear gluten free labeling and awesome prices).

3. Stir it up..you want it thick and really rich and you can use a cinnamon stick to stir with if you want. I paired it with a Pamela's dark chocolate cookie for lots of chocolate. SO good..your winter night will be turned around! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment