Wednesday, March 30, 2011
"Red Lobster" Biscuits
As anyone living with Celiac disease or any food allergy for that matter knows..it is not a diet..it is a lifestyle. This means adapting recipes and finding new ways of making "old favorites". I love seafood as you can tell from my recipes and Red Lobster makes great biscuits..unfortunately they are not gluten free. I was craving them one day and so here is my version.
Here is how: (I adapted the recipe a bit from "You won't believe it is Gluten Free")
1. Preheat your oven to 375 and grease a baking sheet.
2. Blend together:
- 4 Tbs. of softened butter (unsalted butter is best in baking and do not bake with margarine...does not work).
-1 1/3 cup (or 165 grams) of cornstarch (a gluten free thickener)
-1 1/4 tsp. of xanthan gum (another thickener)
- 1 Tbs. of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
- 2 tsp. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
3. Next add:
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp of crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp of dried dill
4. Mix well and realize that your dough is much softer and more delicate to handle than regular grains that contain gluten.
5. Drop the dough by spoonfuls onto your baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes until they start to brown.
6. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter mixed with a pinch of garlic powder.
Here is to not feeling deprived! xo