Saturday, April 16, 2011
Corned Beef and Sweet Potato Cottage Pie
Here is how:
1. In a medium saucepan cook 1 medium, minced onion in 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil until softened over medium-high heat.
2. Stir in 3 Tbs. of gluten free, all purpose flour (Bob's Red Mill makes a great one) with a wire whisk to prevent lumps and take the pan off the heat.
3. Add 1 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes, 8 oz. of cooked and diced corn beef and 2 Tbs. of chopped, fresh parsley together and place in 4 small oven proof dishes.
4. Cook 1 pound of peeled, diced sweet potatoes in boiling water for about 14 minutes, until tender. Drain and season with 2 Tbs. of butter and salt/ pepper to taste. Mash the sweet potatoes and add milk as needed to obtain a creamy yet firm consistency.
5. Top the corn beef mixture with the mashed sweet potatoes and top the dishes with grated cheese (I used provolone) and bake the dishes for ab out 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with a lovely chutney on the side (I served mine with mango chutney).
Here is to elegant cafe food! xo