Saturday, April 23, 2011

"PF Changs" Lettuce Wraps

PF Changs is one of my favorite restaurants and they do have a gluten free menu. I have to be honest and say that I have been cross-contaminated at one before..so be sure to speak to the manager and tell them about the severity of your gluten issues. I will also go on to say that the following time I went there the problem was rectified. There food is so delicious and the lettuce wraps are one of my favorites. This is a version that is close to theirs and easy to make at home. I made mine here with ground beef but chicken can be easily substituted. This recipe is also casein free.

Here is how:
1. Make the PF Chang dipping sauce with:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbs. gluten free tamari (I use San J brand)
Note: PF changs has gluten free soy sauce
- 2 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tbs. ketchup
- 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbs. mustard (I used a sweet and spice mustard from Trader Joes)
- 1 -2 teaspoon red chile paste

Mix these ingredients all together well and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2. Heat up a skillet until hot with 2 Tbs. of oil (I used wok oil for extra flavor).

3. Saute a pound of ground beef or chicken for about 5 minutes until cooked through.

4. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside. Keep the oil in the pan and keep it hot.

5. Mince 1 cup of minced water chestnuts and 1/2 cup of minced mushrooms.

6. Make the stir-fry sauce with:
- 2 Tbs. of gluten free tamari
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar

7. Add the meat, 2 cloves of minced garlic, the water chestnuts and the mushrooms to the pan.

8. Add the stir-fry sauce and saute it for 2 minutes.

9. Serve the mixture in lettuce cups (Iceberg or Bibb lettuce) along with the dipping sauce (you top the lettuce wraps with some of the sauce too).

Here is to restaurant favorites at home!  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment