Monday, April 4, 2011
Pheasant Baked in Wild Rice
I am a total outdoors girl and love wild game. This is one of my favorite recipes for pheasant. It turn out crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. After prepping this is a really easy meal to throw in the oven and bake.
Here is how:
1. Take the breasts, legs and thighs of 2 pheasant and coat in gluten free all purpose flour (again, I use Bob's Red Mill). Note: make sure the breats are cut in half (slice them in the middle along the mid-bone).
2. Brown the pheasant in a couple Tbs. butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. After browning season the breasts with some gluten free poultry seasoning (I used Chef Paul Prudhomme's).
3. Place 3/4 cup of wild rice, a pinch of salt and pepper into a large greased casserole dish and add 2 Tbs. of grated onion.
4. Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms and 2 cups of gluten free chicken broth.
5. Place the pheasant on the rice mixture and dot the dish with 2 Tbs. of butter cut up.
6. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
I serve this with green bean casserole and some gluten free dinner rolls..see the next post for the green bean casserole.
Here is to great wild game cooking! xo