Tuesday, May 17, 2011
Chicken Tikka Masala
Here is how:
1. Finely grate 4 cloves of garlic and 3 inches of fresh ginger (both peeled) with a cheese grater and place in bowl.
2. Add 1 tsp. of dried chilis to the garlic and ginger.
3. Heat up 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and add 1 Tbs. of mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard seeds start to pop and them to the garlic mixture (in the bowl) along with:
- 1 Tbs. paprika
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 Tbs. of garam masala
5. Put half of this spice mixture in a large bowl along with 3/4 cup plain yogurt and 4 medium boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into large chunks.
6. Mix well and allow the chicken to marinade for a half hour or so.
7. Next melt 1 Tbs. of butter in the same skillet along with 2 medium onions (peeled and finely sliced). Also, add the rest of the spice mixture.
8. Cook over medium- low heat for 15 minutes or so without browning too much.
- 2 Tbs. of tomato puree
- a small handful of ground almonds
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of water
10. Stir well and simmer gently for a few minutes.
11. Let the sauce reduce until it thickens slightly. Take of the heat and set aside.
12. Put the marinaded chicken in another hot skillet with 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil and sear until cooked through.
13. Warm the sauce over medium-low heat and add 1/2 cup of cream and 1 Tbs. garam masala.
14. As soon as it boils take it off the heat and add the chicken. Top it with chopped fresh cilantro.
15. Serve it over steaming basmati rice with some cold gluten free beer.
Here is to flavor and fun! xo