Sunday, May 22, 2011
French Onion Soup
Here is how:
1. Melt 1 stick of butter in a large pot over medium- high heat.
- 4 medium sweet onions sliced (I used vidalia onions)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- fresh ground black pepper and sea salt to taste (I used a freshly ground pink Himalayan salt)
3. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the onions are caramelized (about 20 minutes).
4. Add 1 cup of red wine and raise the heat up a bit to bring it to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer until the wine has evaporated and the onions are nearly dry...about 5 minutes.
6. Discard the bay leaves.
7. Add 2 heaping Tbs. of all purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill) to the onions and whisk it to blend it well.
8. Turn the heat down to medium-low cook it for 10 minutes (stirring frequently).
9. Add 2 quarts of beef broth (make sure it is gluten free..I used Pacific brand). Whisk the soup to blend it well and bring it back up to a simmer.
10. Cook for 10 minutes and season the soup with more salt and pepper to taste.
11. Preheat the boiler and arrange about 4-6 pieces of gluten free bread on a baking dish (I used a multigrain gluten free bread). Brush the bread with melted butter and toast the bread for about 3 minutes.
12. Ladle the soup into oven proof bowls and top with the toast slices and 2 cups of grated gruyere cheese.
13. Sprinkle the tops with some finely chopped chives and broil for about 3 more minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Here is to comfort food with style! xo