Monday, May 2, 2011
Grilled Ahi Tuna Salad on Gluten Free Bread
Here is how:
1. Get a skillet very hot (I used a cast iron skillet) and add 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil.
2. Take an approximately 7 oz. Ahi tuna steak and season it with some more of the olive oil (rubbed all over), salt (I used freshly ground pink Himalayan salt for the amazing flavor and mineral properties) and freshly ground coarse black pepper.
Note: in a simpler dish such as this, the quality of your ingredients make a difference.
3. Sear the tuna in the skillet for about 1 minute on each side (to cook it rare) and remove it from the pan.
4. Add another Tbs. of olive oil and take 2 pieces of gluten free bread (Udi makes some good bread).
5. Place the bread in the pan and toast it in the olive oil on each side (gluten free bread in general tastes much better toasted and the olive oil gives it great flavor).
6. In a bowl place and mix together:
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped (I used an orange one for some color)
- 1/4 purple onion chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- more salt and pepper to taste
7. Place the bread on a plate. Top with the seared tuna and then the vegetables.
8. Top with some gluten free balsamic vinaigrette (I used Annie's organic balsamic vinaigrette).
Here is to weeknight meals with style! xo