Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Grilled Chicken and Sweet Onion Quesadillas
Here is how:
1. To make the paste..combine in a food processor (and process until smooth):
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno pepper (stem removed)
- 1 cup tightly packed cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. white vinegar
- 1 Tbs. sherry
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2. Coat 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz. each) with the paste. You can marinate them if you wish in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours.
3. Lightly brush 1 large sweet onion (vidalia or red)..that has been cut into 1/2 inch thick slices with some more of the olive oil.
4. Grill both the chicken and onions over direct medium heat until the chicken is opaque in the center and the onions are tender (about 8-12 minutes)...turning once.
5. Remove the chicken and onions from the grill and allow them to cool. Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/8 inch slices and the onions into 1/4 inch pieces.
6. Evenly divide the chicken, onions and 2 cups of grated Monterey Jack cheese onto 8 corn tortillas..you want the food on half of the tortilla.
7. Fold the empty half of each tortilla over the filling, creating a half circle, and press down firmly.
8. Grill the quesadillas over direct medium heat until well marked and the cheese has melted..about 4-6 minutes..turning carefully once.
9. Allow the quesadillas to cool for a minute or two and then cut into wedges. I also sprinkled mine with some ground chipotle pepper for extra flavor.
10. Serve warm with sour cream and salsa.
Here is to creative, healthy grilling! xo