Thursday, May 5, 2011

Grilled Shrimp with Mexican Salsa

This is a fun recipe that I did for Cinco de Mayo. The fresh salsa "makes" the recipe in my opinion and goes really well with some steamed rice.

Here is how:
1. For the salsa:

a. Grill 2 large tomatoes (halved) over direct high heat until they are well marked and beginning to collapse (about 4-6 minutes).

b. Place the tomatoes in a food processor and pulse until smooth.

c. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and add:
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1 tsp. dried red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper


2. For the shrimp:

a. Brush 1 pound of raw shrimp (peeled) with extra virgin olive oil.

b. Season the shrimp with salt, pepper and paprika (I used smoked paprika in this recipe).

c. Grill the shrimp over direct high heat until the shrimp are firm and opaque...about 2 to 4 minutes. Toss the shrimp around occasionally while grilling.

d. Serve warm with the salsa and rice...maybe have a margarita too..virgin or not.

Happy Cinco de Mayo!! Salud!! xo

1 comment:

  1. This looks so yummy, Angela! Even though I have no trouble eating almost any food, I need to try this. I love shrimp and rice. :) Of course, I love anything grilled. My last name is Grill, too! LOL

    ReplyDelete