Friday, June 3, 2011
Beyond Basic Burger
Here is how:
1. To make the burgers mix:
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion peeled and finely chopped
- a pinch of cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
2. Shape the meat into 8 patties and grill them over direct high heat for about 8 minutes per side (to make them medium). Add some cheese during the last minute or so (I used pepperjack cheese).
3. Meanwhile in an aluminum packet place 1 pound of sliced mushrooms with 1 clove of minced garlic and 1 Tbs. of fresh thyme). Grill over direct medium heat for about 6 minutes (flipping halfway through).
4. In another aluminum packet place 2 Tbs. of butter, 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil and 2 onions cut into 1/2 inch thick slices with salt and pepper. Grill them alongside the mushrooms..for the same amount of time flipping halfway through.
5. Next, place some gluten free buns on the grill (cut side down) for about 1 minute to toast them lightly.
6. To make the herbed mayo mix:
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup freshly minced herbs (I used parsley, chives and scallions)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
7. Assemble the burgers and enjoy! Note: I used Canyon Ranch gluten free buns..by far the best I have tried.
Here is to burgers done right..gluten free style! xo