Saturday, June 25, 2011
Grilled Crab Cakes with Mango Salsa
Here is how:
1. To make the salsa: In a medium bowl combine:
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced.
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
2. Mix well and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, to blend the flavors.
3. Drain 3/4 pound of canned crabmeat in a sieve. Note that it must be pure crabmeat because imitation crab meat contains wheat.
4. In a medium bowl, flake the meat with a fork and add:
- 1 cup of gluten free bread crumbs (Schar and Glutino make them)
- 3/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. gluten free tamari sauce (San J brand makes it)
- 1/4 tsp. hot sauce (I used Sriracha)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.
5. Mix the ingredients gently but thoroughly and shape into 12 medium size cakes. Place the cakes on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes so they will hold together on the grill.
6. Grill the crab cakes over direct high heat until the bread crumbs are toasted, 6-8 minutes, turning carefully with a spatula. Serve warm with the salsa.
Here is to grilling!!! xo