Thursday, June 16, 2011

Grilled Ribeyes with a Horseradish Crust

For many of us "gluten free" is not just a diet, but rather a lifestyle that we must maintain on a daily basis. For me this means that if I am hungry for something, I figure out how to make it..it is all about adaptation. I really enjoy a crusted steak and this ribeye was pretty yummy. I paired the steak with some grilled portabella mushrooms (topped with some extra virgin olive oil and rosemary) and my grilled potatoes..still figuring out when I am willing to post that recipe..lol. I hope you enjoy this one.

Here is how:
1. To make the crust, in a bowl mix:
- 3/4 cup of gluten free bread crumbs (I used Schar brand)
- between 2 and 4 Tbs. of horseradish (depending on the level of heat you want..I used 4)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Note: you want the consistency moist but able to "bind".

2. Take your ribeye (about 12 oz.) and allow it to stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling.

3. Lightly brush your steak with some extra virgin olive oil and rub some freshly ground black pepper into the meat to season it.

4. Grill the steak over direct high heat until cooked to your desired level (6-8 minutes for medium rare), turning the steak only once.
Note: if flare ups occur move the steaks temporarily over indirect heat.

5. Take your steak off the grill and allow it to rest for 3-5 minutes.

6. Press the mix on top of the steak to form the crust.

7. Broil the steak for about 3 minutes until the crust is golden.

Enjoy! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment