Monday, June 20, 2011
King Creole Tuna Steaks
Here is how:
1. Roughly chop and place in a food processor:
- 1 large onion (I used a red onion)
- 1 medium zucchini squash
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded
- 2 ribs of celery (I prefer organic celery)
2. Pulse the food processor to mince the vegetables.
3. Heat 3 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
4. Add the minced vegetables, 1 tsp. of salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper.
5. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes.
6. Add 2 cups of crushed tomatoes, 3 Tbs. of Worcestershire sauce (Lea Perrins original is gluten free) and 1 tsp. of hot sauce (I prefer Sriracha).
7. Bring the liquid to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Meanwhile prepare 2 cups of brown rice according to the package directions.
9. Take 2 pounds of fresh tuna steaks (about a 1/2 inch thick each) and season each side with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
10. Heat 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet and sear the tuna on both sides, until the flesh is just pink in the center, about 6 minutes.
11. Arrange the tuna over the rice and cover with the Creole sauce.
Here is to delicious seafood! xo