Sunday, June 26, 2011
Moroccan Shrimp with Couscous
Here is how:
1. Combine in a small bowl:
- 2 tsp. of paprika (I used Hungarian paprika)
- 1 tsp. salt (I used freshly ground pink Himalayan salt)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder (make sure it is gluten free with no "binders")
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2. Bring to a boil:
- half of the spice mixture:
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits (I used dried golden raisins and cranberries)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 14oz. can of gluten free chicken broth
3. Gradually stir in 1 cup of uncooked brown rice couscous (I used Lundberg brand). Simmer, covered over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep covered for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
4. While the couscous stands, melt 1 Tbs. of butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Sprinkle 1 pound of peeled and deveined with the rest of the spice mixture. Add the shrimp to the pan and saute for 5 minutes or until done.
6. Spoon some of the couscous in the center of a plate and top with some of the shrimp, a dallop of plain Greek yogurt and some fresh cilantro leaves.
Here is to ethnic adventures in cooking! xo