Sunday, June 12, 2011
Omelet with Caramelized Apples and Turkey Sausage
Here is how:
1. Cook a 1/4 pound of turkey sausage links in the oven according to directions (Jones brand is gluten free),
2. In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1 Tbs. of cornstarch.
3. Over medium-high heat stir in 2/3 cup water and 2 tsp. of lemon juice. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens.
4. Add in 3 large apples that have been peeled, cored and cut into slices. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until the apples are tender.
5. Stir in the sausages (that have been cut into slices) and 2 Tbs. of butter. Stir until the sausages are hot. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
6. In a small bowl beat 3 eggs, 1 Tbs. of milk, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper.
7. In a non-stick skillet or an omelet pan, melt 1 Tbs. of butter over medium heat and pour in the egg mixture.
8. Cook the omelet by raising the edges with the spatula to let the uncooked portion flow underneath.
9. As the omelet sets add in 1/4 cup of shredded white cheddar cheese.
10. Pour half of the apple filling in the middle of the omelet and fold over.
11. Top the omelet with the remaining filling and some more shredded cheese. This is delicious served with some gluten free cornbread (Bob's Red Mill makes a great mix).
Here is to creative breakfasts! xo