Monday, June 20, 2011
Sesame Chicken Salad with Spinach, Cucumber and Cilantro
Here is how:
1. To make the vinaigrette, in a bowl whisk together:
- 1/4 gluten free tamari sauce (I use San J brand)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2. Cut 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into lengthwise strips. Place the chicken on a platter and drizzle with 2 Tbs. of the vinaigrette. Toss to coat and set aside for 10 minutes.
3. Take 2 cups of gluten free, plain, rice crackers and pulse them in a food processor to make "panko" textured bread crumbs.
4. Combine the "breadcrumbs" with 1/4 cup of sesame seeds, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Test the flavor of the mixture to make sure that it is seasoned well.
5. Dredge the chicken strips in the crumbs, patting the chicken gently so that they adhere.
6. Heat 3 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken (one half at a time) to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side until browned and crispy.
7. Remove and place the chicken strips on a plate lined with paper towels.
8. Place 4 cups of fresh spinach in a bowl with:
- 1 English cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 handful of chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 scallions sliced
9. Arrange the chicken breasts on top and drizzle with the vinaigrette and some freshly ground black pepper.
Here is to dinner worthy salads! xo