Saturday, June 11, 2011
Tropical Shrimp and Rice
Here is how:
1. Cook a package of quick cooking brown rice according to directions (the whole grain plain brown rice by Uncle Ben's is gluten free). Then transfer the rice to a large bowl to cool.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread a cup of coconut on a baking sheet and bake until golden (about 5 minutes). Transfer to a plate to cool.
3. Take a skillet and heat up 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add 1 pound of large shrimp that has been peeled and deveined and saute until the shrimp turn pink (about 5 minutes).
4. Transfer the shrimp to the bowl with the rice.
5. To the bowl add:
- The coconut
- 1 mango that has been peeled and cubed
- 2 Tbs. of finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp. grated lime zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
6. Toss the mixture well and divide into bowls and serve.
Here is to sunshine! xo