Sunday, July 10, 2011
Coconut Shrimp with Brown Rice, Apricots and Lime
Here is how:
1. Heat 2 Tbs. of wok oil in a large pot over medium heat and add:
- 1 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs. minced lemongrass
- 4 shallots chopped
2. Cook until the shallots are softened (3-4 minutes) and add:
- 1 Tbs. tomato paste
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1 14 oz. can light coconut milk
- 1 Tbs. minced kaffir lime leaves or 1 lime halved
3. Stir and bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, for about 25 minutes, until the sauce is reduced about 1/3 and thickened.
4. While that is cooking, combine 1 cup of brown basmati rice, 1/2 tsp. salt and 2 cups of water in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup dried apricots (halved), 3 chopped scallions and a handful of chopped baby lettuce.
5. To finish, add 1 pound of medium shrimp (shelled and deveined) to the pot with the sauce and simmer gently to cook through (3-4 minutes). Add 1 cup of chopped mushrooms and stir.
6. Divide the rice and place in the bottom of bowls. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over the rice and garnish each bowl with fresh basil leaves, peanuts, and a wedge of lemon.
Here is to Thai food done better at home! xo