Monday, July 11, 2011
Grilled Chicken with Mango- Peach- Passion Fruit BBQ Sauce
Here is how:
1. To make the sauce, wrap a strip of bacon around a bunch of fresh thyme and tie with kitchen twine so you have a secure bundle.
2. Heat 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon/ thyme bundle and cook slowly for 3-4 minutes to extract the bacon fat. Add 1/2 an onion (finely diced) and 2 minced garlic cloves and cook slowly for 5 more minutes.
3. Next add:
- 2 cups of ketchup
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1/2 cup diced fresh mango
- 1/2 cup diced fresh passion fruit
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 Tbs. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
4. Give the sauce a stir and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to blend the flavors.
5. Grill a family pack of chicken legs over indirect medium heat until fully cooked (about 40 minutes). During the last 10 minutes of grilling time, move the chicken over direct medium heat until well browned all over, turning once.
6. Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce and continue grilling until the sauce is cooked onto the chicken (about 5 minutes). Serve with extra sauce.
Here is to the ordinary done on a different level! xo