Some of the health benefits of scallops are:
- Scallops contain nutrient that can help promote cardiovascular health and give protection against colon cancer.
- Sea scallops are an excellent source of cyanocobalamin or vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 helps in the formation of red blood cells and it necessary for the metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and protein.
- Scallops are rich source of omega 3 fatty acids, an essential nutrient for cardiovascular health. Omega 3 helps ease symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, slows the growth of cancerous tumors, helps prevents arthritis and helps combat skin disorders.
- Scallop is a good source of potassium and magnesium. Potassium is necessary for muscle contraction and magnesium is necessary for the proper function of muscles and nerves. It is also important for converting blood sugar into energy. Relaxation of blood vessels is associated with magnesium and thus it provides relief from hypertension.
- Scallop is also a good source of selenium which helps neutralize the injurious effects of free radicals. Excessive accumulation of free radicals (which are by products of metabolism) weakens the immune system making it prone to diseases.
1. To make the marinade, in a medium bowl, whisk:
- 3 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2. Rinse 24 sea scallops under cold water. Remove and discard the small, tough side muscle from each scallop that has one. Place the scallops in the bowl with the marinade and toss evenly to coat them. Cover the bowl and let refrigerate for 1 hour.
3. To make the salsa: Lightly brush 1 onion (cut crosswise into slices) on both sides with oil. Grill over direct high heat until lightly charred all over (6-8 minutes):
- the onions
- 4 medium tomatillos, (about 1/2 pound total), husked and rinsed
- 1 medium poplano chile
4. When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin, stem and seeds. In a food processor place the tomatillos and chilis with:
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
5. Process until fairly smooth and taste to adjust the ingredients if necessary. Remove the scallops from the bowl and discard the marinade. Thread the scallops through their sides onto skewers so the scallops lie flat. Grill over direct high heat until just opaque in the center (4-6 minutes) turning once. Serve warm.
Here is to summer grilling flavors! xo