Wednesday, August 3, 2011
New York Strip Steak with Pizzaiola Sauce
Here is how:
1. To make the sauce: Grill 2 1/2 pounds of plum tomatoes over direct high heat until charred on both sides (3-5 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel away the skin, halve the tomatoes crosswise, remove the cores, squeeze out the seeds, and then chop the tomatoes.
2. In a saucepan over medium heat, warm 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil and cook 1 clove of garlic, (minced), until golden brown, (1-2 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Add the tomatoes, 1/4 cup thinly sliced oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, and 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then stir in 2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh oregano.
4. Allow the steak to stand at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before grilling. Brush both sides of the steak with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, rubbing the seasonings into the meat.
5. Sear over direct high heat for 8-10 minutes, turning once, and then grill over indirect high heat until cooked to desired doneness, 4-6 minutes for mid-rare.
6. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3-5 minutes. Reheat the sauce over medium heat. Serve the steak over a pool of the sauce.
Here it to memorable meals at home! xo