Sunday, August 28, 2011
Not So Sloppy Joes
Here is how:
1. In a skillet, heat up 2 Tbs. of extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat.
2. Add and saute until softened:
- 1 cup sweet onion (chopped)
- 1 rib of celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
3. Next, add to the skillet 1 pound of lean ground beef. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring to avoid any clumps.
4. Finally add:
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Sriracha hot sauce to taste (optional)
5. Cook until bubbling and heated through. Spoon over gluten free hamburger rolls, (I prefer Udi brand), and serve.
Here is to "kid friendly" meals with nutrition! xo